What is a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
A personal injury action is a lawsuit brought by someone who has been injured, either physically or mentally, as a result of another’s negligent (careless) or intentional conduct.
Damages for personal injury cases can include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Property Loss
- Payment for pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
Kershaw, Cook & Talley is a Sacramento, California based personal injury law firm representing clients nationwide. Our personal injury attorneys have handled and resolved thousands of personal injury cases resulting from all types of intentional or negligent conduct.
Common Causes of Personal Injury include:
We also represent hundreds of individuals throughout the country who were injured by defective medical devices or dangerous drugs with undisclosed, harmful side effects.
If you or a loved one were injured due to another party’s negligent or intentional act, please call our experienced personal injury attorneys for a free and confidential case evaluation. Fill out and submit the contact form on this page, or call us toll free at (888) 997-5170.
Select Personal Injury Case Highlights
We represented clients in the following cases:
- Stryker Rejuvenate and ABGII: This is a nationwide mass tort that involves the recall of approximately 22,000 defective Rejuvenate and ABG II hips manufactured by Stryker. We represent hundreds of individuals with defective hips throughout the country and are members of the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee; the committee of plaintiff’s lawyers appointed by the court to oversee the day to day litigation of these cases. This litigation is currently ongoing.
- DePuy ASR: California Judicial Council Coordination Proceeding No 4649 pending in the Superior Court in San Francisco County. These proceedings are working cooperatively with MDL 2197, In re: DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc., ASR™ Hip Implants Products Liability Litigation.
DePuy Pinnacle: Presently, we represent hundreds of people who allege they were injured by metal-on-metal hip replacement implants manufactured by DePuy Orthopedics, a division of Johnson & Johnson. Partner Bill Kershaw is on the Plaintiff’s Discovery Committee for DePuy Pinnacle Multi-District Litigation (MDL).
- Vicryl Sutures: Bill Kershaw and Stuart Talley served as lead counsel in this mass tort action against Johnson & Johnson on behalf of over 200 individuals who alleged they contracted post-operative infections from sutures that were not properly sterilized. The case was litigated to a successful resolution in a confidential proceeding.
- Gynecare Intergel: Bill Kershaw and Stuart Talley served as lead counsel in a case against a Johnson & Johnson subsidiary, Ethicon, Inc. on behalf of approximately 60 women who alleged they were injured by a defective medical device known as Intergel, a product intended to reduce adhesions in women undergoing abdominal surgery. However, the device actually increased adhesions resulting in serious injury. The case was prosecuted over three years resulting in a global settlement on behalf of clients. The settlement amount and the terms of the settlement are confidential.
- Guidant Cardiac Defibrillators: Stuart Talley was a member of the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee in this Multi-District Litigation (MDL) proceeding seeking reimbursement for over 5,000 individuals implanted with defective Guidant defibrillators. Clients who were injured by malfunctioning Guidant Cardiac Defibrillators will claim shares of the $240 million fund as part of a nationwide settlement.
- Kaiser Kidney Transplant: Stuart Talley was the lead attorney representing over 100 Kaiser patients placed on the national kidney transplant list. The plaintiffs in the case alleged Kaiser dropped patients waiting for kidneys from the national transplant list due to administrative blunders. As a result, they did not obtain kidney transplants. The cases settled for a confidential sum.
- Sacramento River Spill Cases I and II, Coordinated Proceeding Nos. 2617 and 2620 (mass tort – involving a toxic spill in the Sacramento River in Dunsmuir, California following derailment of a Southern Pacific Railcar in the Sacramento River; class certified for settlement purposes). Mr. Kershaw served on the plaintiffs’ litigation committee; set up and administered a claims office in Dunsmuir, California; and was instrumental in negotiating a $15.5 million settlement, which was approved by the court and distributed to the class.
- In re GCC Richmond Works Cases, C.C.P. No. 2906, California Superior Court, County of Contra Costa (toxic spill at General Chemical plant in Richmond, California involving 65,000 class members). Mr. Kershaw served on the plaintiffs’ management committee on behalf of plaintiffs he participated in administration and distribution of a $180 million common fund settlement to class members; and was instrumental in establishing a claims center in Richmond, California.